In today’s digital age, modern businesses increasingly need to acquire the best possible tools to manage processes, data and ensure sustainable development. If your organization needs a custom software solution that automates processes, you need to develop and implement an enterprise software solution.
What Is Enterprise Software?
Enterprise software definition is not complicated: it is computer software that is used to meet the requirements of a particular organization. The tasks it is aimed to resolve are different from those of software for individual users.
Businesses, schools, interest-based user groups, clubs, non-profit organizations, and governments are all examples of such organizations.
With an interdisciplinary approach, business software development often includes the following tasks:
- Customer relationship management (CRM);
- Business intelligence (BI);
- Operations and fulfilment of orders;
- Online payment processing and accounting.
And these are just some of them.
Using enterprise software is a smart way to gain unified control over your company. Creating a structured work environment and streamlining processes can help your business. Thus, the main advantages include:
- Data exchange with a continuous flow of information;
- Simplified IT procedures;
- Price reduction for maintenance and software updates;
- Increased sensitivity to changes in the market;
- Increasing the efficiency of the operations.
Related: Complete Guide to the Best Software Development Methodologies
What Is The Difference Between Regular Software and Enterprise Software?
With the wide variety of features that modern solutions offer, it is difficult to choose between regular software and enterprise application development. Each of these types has its own distinctive features. The standard or regular software is intended to be sold directly to individuals for home or personal, non-commercial use. Sometimes small business owners try to use off-the-shelf software for their business purposes. However, there is a difference between regular software and custom enterprise software development.
Enterprise application development is used to meet the needs of an organization rather than individual users. Most large companies are hierarchical, and enterprise software caters to the needs of each of these groups. Enterprise software involves the implementation of various permissions tailored to specific roles. Regular software, on the other hand, caters to the needs of individual users or small groups.
- Confidential data
Enterprise software development differs from conventional software as it is designed to deal with significant volumes of sensitive data that must be securely stored.
Enterprise software developers must take into account many options that will satisfy the requirements of various corporate departments. Regular software applications are designed for the needs of individuals, and will provide a limited number of options sufficient to perform the designated tasks.
Related: Why Are More Businesses Outsourcing Software Developers?
Main Types Of Enterprise Software Systems
CRM – customer relationship management
CRM (customer relationship management) is a set of methods, procedures and tools that large companies use to efficiently process and evaluate customer interactions. When it comes to customer retention and customer relationship improvement, enterprise CRM software plays an important role. The huge amount of data currently available can be seamlessly managed and controlled throughout the entire customer lifecycle.
Here are a few reasons why companies choose CRM:
- Using the real-time reporting and visualization function to get up-to-date information about customers;
- Using readily available customer information to provide better and faster customer support services;
- Automation of sales funnel operations;
- CRM systems work well when business operations involve customer interactions to improve the customer experience.
ERP – Enterprise Resource Planning
An enterprise resource planning (ERP) system facilitates the management of internal processes that run smoothly within a corporation. When implementing enterprise software, each department has its own systems that are optimized to perform the tasks of every particular department. They can communicate faster and share information with others.
Listed below are a few of the benefits that businesses receive when implementing ERP systems:
- Dissemination of information to the rest of the company and various departments;
- Removal of comparable and inefficient technologies;
The ERP program facilitates the exchange of data and the integration of functions between different systems.
SCM – supply chain management
Supply chain management systems are primarily concerned with supply chains. This type of business development software manages the flow of goods and services across all departments. It covers any process that turns raw materials into finished products. SCM ensures that business operations are efficient and cost-effective.
This enterprise software is used by businesses to:
- Rationalization of activities;
- Maximizing customer value;
- Obtaining a competitive advantage in the market;
- Reduction of additional costs;
- Increase the speed of delivery of products to consumers.
The development of supply chain management systems is critical to stay ahead of changing trends. Businesses can now create seamless software that best suits their interests.
Why Creating Enterprise Software Solutions Is More Promising Than Using Third-Party Tools?
Third-party tools have their own unique processes that have been refined and fine-tuned over many years based on analysis of the experience and needs of different users. The key advantage of enterprise software is the simple automation of the day-to-day processes of a single organization. Other advantages include:
- Scalability. Custom software developed for a specific business takes into account the specifics of its business processes. So scaling won’t take this company by surprise. The business will function regardless of the current or future size of the business. Therefore, your software can evolve with your business.
- Process standardization and cost reduction. Although it will be necessary to pay the enterprise software development company, in the long run, using enterprise software will reduce costs and benefit your company. The use of enterprise software will lead to a standardization of business conduct throughout the company and will increase the efficiency and predictability of ongoing operations.
- Competitive advantage. EAS gives businesses the ability to gain insight into the current situation and predict where they are headed, standardize and optimize their processes, empower them to deliver the best possible customer experience, and more.
- Visibility of the business as a whole. Enterprise software management helps to overview the current operations of the entire company. You don’t need to extract a report from this software, create a spreadsheet from the data, and create a slideshow to report on the company’s performance. Because enterprise software is typically built to meet the needs of an entire organization, it can offer business intelligence and actionable insights based on data from a variety of sources: sales, marketing, and manufacturing.
Top Benefits Of a Custom Enterprise Software Solution
The EAS market is very competitive. Since the software is used by a wide range of users on various types of devices – from desktop computers to mobile phones – never compromise the performance of the software they create. The dominance of the software in the market is the result of its high demand and superior performance.
Security is considered one of the most important issues in enterprise software development. It is extremely difficult to develop software without significant investment, expertise, and deep flaw analysis. In this case, cybersecurity refers to protecting the devices of a network, as well as the people who use it, the data it processes, and the employees or users who use it.
Related: NEKLO DIGEST #4: Level of Quality and Security in Custom Software Development Services
Scalability determines the quality of any software product. A product that does not scale will degrade and eventually be phased out of the market. Scalability defines the growth and improvement of any software, functionality, capability, or any other required aspect. This extension should not affect the performance of enterprise software.
Enterprise software is built using advanced, proven, reliable and secure technologies. In addition, it must meet minimum security requirements and be: compatible, verifiable, easy to use, and managed by authorized individuals. It must track all transactions and have many other characteristics that make it reliable software.
When it comes to enterprise software development, this characteristic needs to be handled with extreme care. This is due to the significant amount of data that is distributed across multiple locations and must be kept separate to control the software and ensure that it works consistently and flawlessly with different processes. There are many storage options that experts are considering today when developing enterprise software.
Those companies that want to take a leading position in their sector in the modern world must be unique not only in terms of visual identification. Only the most charismatic companies that differ from others at various levels, as well as the level of technology, will survive on the market.
While commercial software has its advantages, in many cases custom business software is faster and cheaper to implement, and many bugs can be eliminated from the start.
In the process of dialogue with clients, our team checks whether the client is ready to develop and implement a revolutionary technological solution. We won’t recommend a custom app if there’s another way to grow your business.
NEKLO is an enterprise software company with many years of experience in software development and interdisciplinary competencies. Whether you want to grow your business efficiently and are looking to choose custom software or a ready-made commercial application, our specialists will help you make that decision. Just contact us through the form on our website, and together we will find the right solution for your exact business needs.