M-Commerce Evolution and Magento Mobile App Development
The mobile age is here. People are increasingly using smartphones to surf the net. Businesses are becoming mobile-friendly as they wish to meet and engage with consumers in real-time through mobile devices.
In our new article, we explain the concept of “m-commerce” and give a gist of the key benefits of optimizing a web store for mobile.
In addition, you will also learn why we consider Magento to be the best platform for m-commerce development.
Consumers today are more and more likely to shop through handheld devices. According to the data revealed by Statista, the number of smartphone users worldwide has already surpassed 3.5 billion and is forecasted to grow.
For business owners, engaging with the customers through mobile experience has become a common factor impacting the sales.
So let’s dig into some details and discover why mobile commerce is a new trend in the ecommerce sector.
What Is Mobile Commerce?
Mobile commerce or m-commerce is the concept that describes financial transactions made through a mobile device.
M-commerce is not just about “buying things through mobile”. M-commerce embraces 3 types of mobile transactions, such as:
- Mobile payments: Any payment made with the help of mobile devices, including the popular mobile payment solutions like ApplePay or PayPal One-Touch..
- Mobile banking: Similar to online banking in terms of functionality, but typically involves the use of a dedicated secure mobile app, provided by the bank.
- Mobile shopping: Any type of purchase made through a handheld device, including mobile apps, and websites optimized for mobile and social media.
What’s the Difference Between M-Commerce and E-Commerce?
Unlike ecommerce that refers to any financial transaction made through the Internet, m-commerce refers only to the transactions made through mobile devices. Figuratively, ecommerce can be compared to a tree while m-commerce is one of the branches.
This branch, however, is rapidly growing. The research reported by Statista shows that mobile retail revenues will have amounted to 339.03 billion dollars in the USA by the end of 2020. Launching a mobile-friendly business becomes a good way to gain profit.
Key Benefits of M-Commerce for Businesses
One of the main benefits of m-commerce for consumers is the convenience to shop on the go.
The key advantages of m-commerce for businesses include:
- Improved customer experience: M-commerce provides higher load speed and familiar interactions which are the basis for the great shopping experience.
- Personalized engagement: M-commerce allows businesses to stay connected with the customers by sending push notifications and targeted deals.
- Location tracking: M-commerce allows companies to analyze the data provided by users, including geolocation, preferable language settings, etc.
- More payment options: In our to-do list for Magento checkout page we talked about the importance of the opportunity to select favorable payment options. M-commerce brings the convenience of mobile wallets to credit card and cash-on-delivery payments through popular options like Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/Google Pay, PayPal One-Touch, Amazon Pay, Visa Checkout.
Why Magento for M-Commerce?
One of the most used platforms for the fast creation of mobile-ready websites is Magento. Its many advantages allow for running a truly successful m-commerce project.
Below we provide our grounds.
- Mobile-friendly checkout
Magento provides a seamless mobile-optimized checkout process and smooth integrations with popular payment gateways to turn the growing mobile traffic into increasing conversion rates.
- Responsive themes
Using Magento solutions is a fast and affordable way to build an m-commerce website thanks to the built-in responsive design themes. Magento templates are fully customizable, meaning you can build your design concept from scratch to attract your target audience.
- Progressive web apps aka PWA
Our article concerning the point about why ecommerce brands shift to PWA reveals why PWA is called the future of ecommerce. Magento works hard to develop this technology allowing a website to look and behave like a native mobile app. The platform offers to build appealing mobile shopping experiences with PWA Studio.
- Security and reliability
Magento pays attention to the safety of the users’ data by updating the security patches and protecting the digital environment for ecommerce activities.
How to Optimize an eCommerce Store for Mobile
Recent stats data provided by Formstack data collection company shows that 57% of users won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site.
Adjusting your web ecommerce store for mobile shoppers has proved to be highly effective in terms of raising the number of purchases.
Consider the following 5 “to-do’s” for the successful mobile optimization:
1. Create a responsive website
Responsive design allows for displaying every piece of website content correctly, with no issues, no matter the size and form. Compatibility with handheld devices improves the readability of texts and makes the navigation mobile-friendly.
2. Ensure fast website load times
When it comes to mobile shopping, page speed is essential. Even a 1 sec delay in page load time reduces page views by 11%.
To speed up your website’s load time, try:
- Compressing the images;
- Applying “flat” design;
- Using a cache plugin;
- Implementing AMP protocols to ensure consistency on all devices.
3. Provide a seamless checkout process
Statista reports that 88.05% of all online orders are abandoned at the checkout stage. To avoid cart abandonment, provide your mobile users with a fast and intuitive checkout process:
- Make sure the buttons are clearly seen;
- Minimize the number of fields to fill out;
- Limit the checkout process to 5 steps.
4. Optimize images and videos
Catching visual elements may significantly slow down the page load speed. To stay fast, make sure the graphics are optimized to fit the screens of mobile devices. Videos are better to keep without autoplay function, not to annoy the customers with unwelcome sounds.
5. Avoid distractive pop-ups and ads
Customers hate to waste time on closing pop-ups. Google also is not really in favor of websites full of ads and is unlikely to place your e-commerce shop high in search results. Instead, push notifications or in-app messaging might become a good alternative allowing you to present special offers, new features, and news.
Smartphones are an inseparable part of our lives, pushing the development of m-commerce forward through the development of useful features. It provides the convenience of on-the-go financial operations and the flexibility of strategies for revenue streams.
NEKLO can help you to expand your brand’s digital presence through our mobile app development services. Should you need a mobile-friendly Magento store, our team will help you to get it up and running.
Before You Go
The capabilities of your existing Magento store can be extended even further through Magento extensions. Our team has crafted Drag and Drop online merchandising tool providing visual product sorting. Try it to make your ecommerce and m-commerce experience dynamic and hassle-free.